Thursday, August 25, 2011

There's something about being Latina...

When people ask where I'm from I always have to say 
"I was born in Mexico, raised in Arakansas" 
people probably dont know why I give so much detail but I just cant leave either out because they are both important to me. 

Truth is I did live in Mexico for the first 9 years of my life 
and although I was very young I remember a lot about it and I remember the things that I saw while growing up. 
I remember being such a little munchkin and seeing all my aunts gather around to have 
"women time". I always thought it was soo cool that they would take us all to play while they ate, 
talked, and discussed their lives as "mexican wives". Later, I grew up to see my cousins 
gather together to talk about their married life, and talk as Mexican women usually do. I remember 
waiting for that day to arrive. 

After moving here that kind of faded because well, all my aunts weren't  around (at least not all 8 of them) 
so I kind of forgot what that feeling was like. Until I got a little older and my mom started bringing me around other Latinas who gather together at the gym, restaurants and talked about current events. 
The feeling sort of came back ... and I remembered that I was still awaiting that day. 

Years later, I just have to admit how much I love "Latinas" time. There is just something about being together with a group of Latinas that makes my heart just burn! It makes me so happy to finally have reached that age where I too can now have "Latina" time. I love it because we all share so many cultural values that could be easily forgotten in the world I live in but when I have my Latina time I just looove being part of it (: It makes me remember my mom and aunts, my childhood, and how excited I was for this day to come! It makes me so proud of my culture and just sooo excited to be a Latina mother/wife. 

The feeling is just unexplainable maybe we arent that much different than a bunch of "Poly" women or "African women" but its just so exciting to be around people my race (: 


No comments:

Post a Comment